Here are a few of my favorite resources for a great personal and family Advent and Christmas season.
NOTE: Many of these titles are available in the BOOK NOOK at OPBC in the Welcome Center. Every donation to the BOOK NOOK this holiday season goes to support Lottie Moon Christmas Offering.
- Behold the Lamb of God (Andrew Peterson): Beautiful music exploring the true but seemingly tall tale of the promise and birth of Jesus. Our family’s favorite Christmas tradition is to make it to the concert every year.
- Behold the Lamb of God Advent Devotional (Russ Ramsey): Devotional readings for Advent.
- Jesus Storybook Bible Advent Reading Plan (Sally-Lloyd Jones): The best of great storytelling and beautiful Biblical power for your whole family. Reclaim wonder.
- Prepare Him Room Family Advent Devotional (Marty Machowski): From Bible devotions which tell the Christmas story through the eyes of the prophets to an original Christmas short story called “Bartimaeus,” Prepare Him Room helps you build family Christmas traditions around Christ.
- Good News of Great Joy and The Dawn of Indestructible Joy (John Piper): Free Downloads of these daily devotionals draw you to the everlasting Joy found in Jesus.
- The One True Story (Tim Chester): Daily Readings for Advent from Genesis to Jesus.
- A Better December (Steven Estes): Know someone FRAZZLED or SAD this Christmas? A Better December by Steve Estes applies Solomon s Proverbs to holiday stresses. Playful and tiny, this illustrated work would be a good gift for your unbelieving friends as it gently introduces Jesus during a month when they are more receptive.
- Christmas Uncut (Carl Lafferton): What REALLY happened and WHY it matters. Fun and witty.
- The First Days of Jesus (Andreas Kostenberger/ Alexander Stewart): The story of the incarnation. Aimed at stirring your affections for Jesus, this meditative book will lead you on a step-by-step journey through the Gospels’ birth narratives, clearing away common misconceptions, making messianic connections, and setting the stage for Jesus’s later life and ministry.
- Advent Catechism (Freddy Williams): Designed to help your family and/or small group slow down and engage this amazing story of hope. God interrupts the silence by sending our rescuer in the most unlikely of ways.