(2) The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined.
(3) You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil.
(4) For the yoke of his burden, and the staff for his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian.
(5) For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel for the fire.
(6) For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
(7) Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.
“We talk of the Second Coming (of Christ); half the world has never heard of the first.” ~ Oswald J. Smith
“The message of Jesus is not “Repent,” but “Repent for the Kingdom of God is near.”” John Shea
“The Son of God became a man to enable men to become the sons of God.” – C.S. Lewis
Setting: Isaiah is prophesying in a time of impending calamity, Assyrians, then Babylonians. Enemies were gathering around. The people had long before turned from God, their leaders had rejected God. But Isaiah is bringing tidings of great joy. Over the next few weeks, we will be looking at this prophecy… this great good, evangelistic, Gospel, Good News…
DARKNESS TO LIGHT
(Isaiah 8:22) And they will look to the earth, but behold, distress and darkness, the gloom of anguish. And they will be thrust into thick darkness.
DELIVERANCE THROUGH A CHILD
(Isaiah 7:14) Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
DOMINION OF THE LORD
(Isaiah 6:1-3) In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!”
This is our Good News this Advent… and the Good News has not changed. It is the same Good News that we take to a Dark, Imprisoned world that does not submit to the rule and reign of Jesus. We take the excellencies of Jesus to the people.
Who is He? He is Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
And He and He alone is seated on His throne.
As you prepare your hears to celebrate again the first Advent… the first anticipated coming of Jesus… How are you helping others to prepare for His second Advent?